A SAMPLE OF WHAT YOUR CHILD WILL BE WORKING ON IN 6TH GRADE
1. Analyzing how chapters of a book, scenes of a play, or stanzas of a poem fit into the overall structure of the piece and contribute to the development of ideas or themes.
2. Gaining knowledge from materials that make extensive use of elaborate diagrams and data to convey information and illustrate concepts.
3. Evaluating the argument and specific claims in written materials or a speech, and distinguishing claims that are supported by reasons and evidence from claims that are not.
4. Presenting claims and findings to others orally, sequencing ideas logically, and accentuating main ideas or themes.
5. Writing arguments that provide clear reasons and relevant evidence, using credible sources.
6. Writing brief reports that examine a topic, have a clear focus, and include relevant facts, details, and quotations.
7. Conducting short research projects to answer a question, drawing on several sources, and sharpening the focus based on the research findings.
8. Reviewing and paraphrasing key ideas and multiple perspectives of a speaker.
9. Recognizing variations from standard English in his or her own and others’ writing and speaking, and using this knowledge to improve language use.
10. Determining the correct meaning of a word based on the context in which it is used (e.g., the rest of the sentence or paragraph; a word’s position or function in a sentence).
An English curriculum by Great Minds created for teachers and by teachers. They focus on creating a love for reading, rigorously aligned to Common Core standards, and exposure to interesting and grade-level appropriate texts.
ThinkLaw is the curriculum we will be using to expose our students to legal principles and critical thinking every day. ThinkLaw uses real legal cases to engage students and create a space for them to do the heavy cognitive lift. We are extremely excited about this partnership.
Written by math teachers, Eureka Math provides educators with a comprehensive curriculum, in-depth professional development, books, and support materials. It focuses on conceptual understanding to help students understand the “why” behind the steps they follow in math,
According to Great Minds, Eureka Math is a complete PreK – 12 curriculum that carefully sequences the mathematical progressions into expertly crafted modules. Written by math teachers, Eureka Math provides educators with a comprehensive curriculum, in-depth professional development, books, and support materials. It focuses on conceptual understanding to help students understand the “why” behind the steps they follow in math.
English idioms by theidioms.com